About Me

My photo
I am a momma of 6 :) I have one grand-daughter who is 2 and a half and one who is 9 months!!...my youngest son is 6 months younger than the older one and 1 year older than the baby :) We homeschool and we are always on the go! I like to joke and say we are "addicted to chaos"! Long story short - we are parents of kiddos every age imaginable (almost) and like everyone else...We're learning as we go along! Thank the Lord...He's forgiving and LOVING - 'cause we're truly undeserving of all the wonderful gifts He's given to us!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

FIRST DO NO HARM


As I go through my days with so many ideas....so many thoughts on what I want to pass down to my children, I am trying hard to narrow it down to "the bottom line"......

WHAT'S IMPORTANT?
I once heard a homeschool mom who stressed the fact that we need to focus on what is important...
Is it important that your child is doing work while laying on their side and listening to music?
Or...is it just important that they're getting the work completed?
If they are able to multi task and still provide a nice, neat product to "turn in" why does it matter how it's accomplished?

I think back on so many things I have had my R U L E S on. My unbending....ungiving...sometimes unloving rules that HAD to be obeyed.
sigh...........

Isn't the real idea in raising our kids "First do no harm?"
When I get to the very end of my sometimes frazzled rope and I open my (awful) mouth.
when that "sword-like" tongue of mine cuts and slashes in order to get control once again...saying things I would NEVER say to a "friend" or even acquaintance....my heart breaks when I think of it.....the appologiesto my family may take forever. But today's a good day to begin.

My learning to be a momma has not been perfect.
Thank God for his love and Grace.
I am SO VERY FAR from perfect.

I need to somehow look at these smartmouth(opinionated) teenagers or these arguing children saying hateful things to each other and remember what it was like when they sat on my lap. When they cuddled close and no one but momma could make the boo boo's better.
I need to etch in my brain the dreams and longings I had for each of them as tiny babies in my arms and now love them enough to allow them to have their own dreams too.
Too often I see my days as hour by hour....as pay check to pay check...as meals to be made.......bills to be paid.
Today I pray that the Lord guides me to more than just "first do no harm".
I pray that I will remember to:
first...........love
first.................listen
first.................value
first.................hold and hug and laugh together with my little "blessings"
and to always remember that they are truly gifts from God.

With all my heart ~
Michelle

How about you? Do you have a "first" tip or idea?
We'd love to hear it!


holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment